July is National Grilling Month and we want to ensure you and your family enjoy the summer grilling season safely. Three out of five households own a gas grill, which translates to a lot of tasty meals. After all, it’s silly to warm up your kitchen in the heat of the summer when there is nothing better than the smell (and taste!) of food on the grill.
Unfortunately, this also means there’s an increased risk of home fires. In 2014, 16,600 patients went to emergency rooms because of injuries involving grills. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, about 5,700 grill fires take place on residential property every year, causing an annual average of $37 million in damage, 100 injuries and 10 deaths. Gas grills contribute to a higher number of home fires overall than their charcoal counterparts. The majority of grill fires are caused by malfunctioning gas grills. In addition, thousands of people visit emergency rooms every year because they have burned themselves while barbecuing.
The top three reasons for fires:
1. Failure to clean the grill was the leading factor contributing to the fire in almost 20% of all fires;
2. something that could catch fire was too close to the grill;
3. leaks or breaks
The best way to enjoy a summer of outdoor grilling is to take steps to prevent accidents, including maintaining your grill and using it safely. Gas grills are generally safe if they are properly maintained and checked for leaks. You can search the website of the Consumer Product Safety Commission to see if there has been a recall on your grill. When setting up at the start of each grilling season, the following tips can help ensure everybody’s safety:
- Check grill hoses for cracks, holes and brittleness. Look for blockages as well, especially in the Venturi tube that runs to the burners. Clear blockages—caused by food drippings, spiders or insects—with a wire or pipe cleaner.
- Run a soap solution (one part liquid soap, one part water) along hoses and at connections, then open the valve at your tank and check to make sure that gas isn’t escaping, which will be indicated by bubbles at the leaking points.
- Adjust hoses as needed away from hot areas or where grease might drip on them.
- Store propane tanks outside, away from your house. Always check to make sure valves are firmly turned off.
- Operate your barbecue on a level surface, away from your house, garage and landscaping; don’t move the grill once it is lit.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill.
- Protect yourself—or whoever is doing the grilling—with a heavy apron and oven mitts that reach high on the forearm.
- For charcoal grills, use only lighter fluid designed for grilling. Never use gasoline or other flammable liquids, and never add more lighter fluid once the fire has started.
- Never grill indoors or in enclosed areas. Charcoal grills produce carbon monoxide fumes, which can be fatal in unventilated areas.
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.
- When you’re done with your cooking, remember that the grill will remain hot for a while. Don’t cover or store your grill until it has cooled, and soak coals with water before throwing them away.
Stay safe this BBQ season!
JJ’s Pantry: Real food. Real good. Real easy!
We offer all-natural gourmet food mixes and jarred items made from fresh Arizona grown fruits, veggies, nuts, herbs, spices and cheeses. Our product line includes Beverage Mixes, Dip and Dressing Mixes, Dessert Dip Mixes, Soup Mixes, Rubs and Seasonings, Quick Bread & Scone Mixes, BBQ and Cooking Sauces, Salsa, Chutney, Relish, Ketchup and Mustard.
Our mission at JJ’s Pantry is to offer healthy, affordable, great tasting alternatives to the mass produced, chemically treated products found in your local grocery store. We strive to create healthy products with versatility, enabling you to create tasty dishes for yourself and your family. We want meal planning and preparation to be less stressful for you, so you spend less time in the kitchen and more time with your family.
Every product we offer is made fresh from locally grown, hand picked ingredients from southern Arizona including fruits, vegetables, herbs, and nuts. Our items are all additive and preservative free. We use 100% all-natural ingredients with absolutely nothing artificial – no fillers, no preservatives, no artificial flavors or colors! We offer products that are fat-free, no-salt or low-salt, sugar-free, dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan. We manufacture and distribute out of beautiful Tucson, Arizona, and prepare your items fresh for you when you order.
And coming soon – If you are looking for a gift – we offer unique gift items for the food and wine lover, the music lover and the pet lover!
Look around the website and if you have any comments, questions or suggestions, please feel free to email us at JJsPantry@hotmail.com. We hope to see you again soon!
Thank you for choosing JJ’s Pantry!
*** Our website is always improving . . . please check back often while we continue to upload new recipes, products, gift items, and much more! ***